HOPE

HOPE is the belief that there is something better to come.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Jam-packed day 5

Started at 5:50a.m. by text message; that's okay, I couldn't sleep anyway. After a couple of lattes and some work, it was time to visit Munchkin again. Today I got to see Munchkin among the rest of her group. She is much more at ease when in the company of other kids. It was very funny to see the change in her. She went from total disinterest in any of the toys and snacks that I brought to complete control of as much as she could hold in her arms and hands. So, while she's not so sure she's ready to claim me yet, she is definitely ready to lay claim to the stuff that comes with me. As well, I often caught Munchkin checking me out while I was interacting with the other children. I'll take that as progress.

When it was time for the group to return to their main room, I was sure Munchkin would want to go along with them. To my delight, instead she rolled to the floor, hugging on an over-sized stuffed animal, ready for some more tickling. After a little while, Munchkin came to realize that not only had her buddies disappeared but also our agency coordinator, Irina (you know, the lady who actually sounds Russian when she speaks Russian; that's easy when you're Russian).

Bring in the tears. It wasn't long until Munchkin was settled so that she was just making these sad cooing sounds. You know the kind, when a little one is trying to make themselves keep crying after losing the internal response to do so. "Ooh, ooh, ooh." Soon it was time for me to bring Munchkin back to her group. We held hands as we descended the stairs and walked down the hallways to her room; once there she sat on the little bench while I took off her shoes. Then "paka-paka" and a wave as Munchkin happily sat down for lunch.

I've been trying to come up with every idea I can to convince the orphanage director to let me take Munchkin before the 10 day wait is up. Our coordinator, Irina, very patiently hears me out. Chicken pox is going around the baby house; some of the groups and entire portions of the facility are closed for visitors to contain any further spread. To me, what a practical reason to get Munchkin early so as to avoid any exposure for her. No matter that she's already been vaccinated and that her group has not interacted with the poxed kiddos. Unfortunately, not convincing enough to sway the director. Dang, she's tough.

Irina let me hang out with her for the rest of the day. We drove into downtown Vlad to run some errands; snow, slippery roads, and a fender bender (not us) made for a long trek into the city. It was well worth it though to enjoy some good company and a surprising treat of a delicious lunch. Have you ever tried black rice? Total deliciousness! Only to be topped by the dee-lish dessert that followed.

Now, after a little work and a little school it's 9p.m. and I'm heading for bed.

Night-night,
Cameo

No comments:

Post a Comment