HOPE

HOPE is the belief that there is something better to come.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

The first of ten days

The first of ten days

Day 1: Chad left this morning to head back home. I spoke to him just a little while ago, relieved to hear that he was at his hotel in Moscow. Tomorrow morning he will fly to Paris and then on to Minneapolis. Me? Well, after working on the same homework assignment for many more hours than should be required, I went outside for some fresh air. I'm under strict instructions from my husband (and my Dad) not to go anywhere by myself so my ventures only took me around the perimeter of the hotel. The neighborhood where we're staying is extremely safe, probably the safest in Vlad. On the same street as our hotel is a prestigious private school, the governor's private home, and other properties obviously owned by the most affluent of this community. Nonetheless, I promised not to cause Chad (or Dad) any undue worry, thus, the perimeter.

As you already know, our court hearing went well. The judge was very curious about us living on a farm and raising cattle. Apparently, what we consider to be a small farm in Minnesota would be a huge undertaking in Russia. The judge couldn't imagine how Chad was able to work off the farm; she was sure he must work 24 hours a day to keep up with everything. To note, Chad was very quick to give credit to both me and Sydney for our participation in the farm work too. Thanks honey. It was quite funny when the judge even went on to ask Chad why we chose to adopt a daughter when a son could be so helpful on the farm. Although parts of hearing were light hearted in that way, the culmination of the hearing, and the judge reading her decision, filled me with emotion. Our petition for adoption was approved; Munchkin's name was legally changed; WE WERE NAMED AS HER PARENTS. Overwhelmingly amazing.

Last night, we went for a celebratory dinner with Lana, our translator, and Irina, our in-country adoption coordinator. What fun we had over a lovely meal. Both of these ladies are fantastic - and a real hoot. I wish I could bring them back to Minnesota with me too!

Tomorrow I will try to post some pictures (really, I have the time; the challenge will be found in my talent). Don't get too excited, there can be no pictures of Munchkin until 11/22. I'll try to post some pix of the hotel and our (beautiful, safe - yet untraveled by me alone) neighborhood.

Spa coina nochi (good night),

Cameo

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are safe in the perimeter. I will pass on to my mother-in-law as she too was very worried about u. It is interesting trying to explain to Brooke that u have a new daughter. Brooke has made up her mind that Uncle Chad, Auntie Cameo, Syd, and the new lil sister are going to be in Louisville. I tried to explain that Uncle Chad was going to go get Syd and you were in Russia with Natalia, BUT u know ur God-daughter when she has made up her mind there isn't anything going to change it thus I gave up the arguement with the 4 year-old. We also are working on Natalia's name so far Brooke is announcing it as Tatalia..... Still working on it. Well, that's all for now we're thinking about you guys as always!!

    Love as always
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete